Financial Controller: SPF: Savings and Sanlam Closed Book (1745)
Sanlam Personal Finance - Permanent - Financial Services - Western Cape - Bellville
Who are we?
The Sanlam Personal Finance (SPF) cluster is responsible for Sanlam’s retail business in South Africa. SPF provides clients across different market segments (entry-level, middle-income, affluent, professional market and business owners) with a comprehensive range of appropriate and competitive financial solutions. These include traditional life insurance risk and savings products, investment, retirement, health and fiduciary services. Designed to facilitate long-term wealth creation, protection and niche financing, these solutions are engineered around client needs.
What will you do?
Sanlam Savings offers Savings (SS) solutions to various segments within the market. Sanlam Closed (CB) Book manages client and shareholder value for those product types, closed to new business.
The Financial controller of SS & CB is responsible for balance scorecards, risk schedules; effective cost management within SPF governance framework, budgeting and forecasting as well as other financial tasks.
This role is responsible for, in both Sanlam Savings and Sanlam Closed Book as highlighted below:
- Sanlam Savings and Closed Book balanced scorecard reporting
- Cost management and Reporting which include monthly variance analysis and cost investigations
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Solving financial enquiries & problems on time and in an effective manner.
- Ensure effective controls and procedures are in place to adhere to approval framework.
- Processing of journals and payments in accordance with the approval framework
- Reporting IF units and forecasting
- Maintaining and consolidating the risk schedules. Transition to the new B-wise system to update risks going forward
- Supply input for the quarterly Sanlam Life Retail TCF report and address outstanding feedback items.
- Active role in Sanlam Savings and Closed Book and SPF projects
- Assist with finance related investigating and reporting when needed
- Assist with FCA models and cost allocations when needed
- Assist with profit reporting as and when needed
- Assist Value Optimisation Project team to increase their understanding of the business
What will make you successful in this role?
- B Com degree with financial accounting as major
- CA articles preferred
- 3 -5 years’ experience in a financial reporting environment
- Sound Financial Services Industry and preferred Insurance Industry Knowledge
- Proficiency in Walker/Essbase/E2 Financials will be an advantage
- Practical Accounting experience
- Advanced Excel in practice
- Business writing (reports)
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Word & PowerPoint
- The ability to assume responsibility for and execute projects to completion
- Attention to detail and concern for accuracy and order
- Organisational and prioritising skills
- Drive/performance orientated
- Problem solving & analytical thinking
- Good communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Proactive and the ability to work independently
- Assertive and innovative
- Computer literate in MS Office with strong Excel skills
- Build a successful career with us
We’re all about building strong, lasting relationships with our employees. We know that you have hopes for your future – your career, your personal development and of achieving great things. We pride ourselves in helping our employees to realise their worth. Through its business clusters – Sanlam Personal Finance, Sanlam Emerging Markets, Sanlam Investments, Sanlam Corporate, Santam, Miway, as well as the Group Office – the group provides many opportunities for growth and development.
- Being resilient - Stage 3
- Collaborates - Stage 3
- Cultivates innovation - Stage 3
- Customer focus - Stage 3
- Drives results - Stage 3
The shortlisting process will only start once the application due date has been reached. The time taken to complete this process will depend on how far you progress and the availability of managers.
Closing Date: 21 March 2019.
Our commitment to transformation
The Sanlam Group is committed to achieving transformation and embraces diversity. This commitment is what drives us to achieve a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace as we believe that these are key components to ensuring a thriving and sustainable business in South Africa. The Group's Employment Equity plan and targets will be considered as part of the selection process.