LILIZELA TOURISM AWARDS ADJUDICATION PANEL
2018 LILIZELA TOURISM AWARDS ADJUDICATION
South African Tourism (SAT) invites reputable members of the South
African tourism industry to form part of the Adjudication Panel of the
Lilizela Tourism Awards.
Launched in 2013, the Lilizela Tourism Awards are South Africa’s
premier travel and tourism awards. The aim of the awards is to
recognise and celebrate tourism businesses for tourism excellence,
for their contribution to South Africa’s global competitiveness, and for
growing tourism’s contribution towards GDP and job creation.
The following will be awarded at the 9 provincial awards ceremonies
happening in September 2018 as well as the National Award
Ceremony, which is planned for October 2018:
1. Focus Area and Category – The Minister’s Award
Recognises outstanding, unique, impactful people, events, organisations
that have performed in a manner that urges the industry
closer to tourism’s 2020 objectives. This award is at the sole
discretion of the Minister of Tourism; no adjudication is necessary.
2. Focus Area: Service Excellence
These awards are adjudicated using a scoring mechanism that takes
into consideration consumer reviews and judges’ scores.
The consumer reviews account for 80% of the score, with the
judges’ votes only accounting for 20% of the total score.
- The Accommodation Awards which are based on the Tourism Grading Councial of South Africa ( TGCSA) definition of accommodation establishments
- The Meetings, Exhibitions and Special Events (MESE) Awards which are also based on the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa (TGCSA) definition of MESE establishments
- Visitor Experiences Awards which include Scenic Beauty,Roots and Culture, Adventure and Activities, Wildlife, Lifestyle, Beach experience and Lap of Luxury
- Tour Operator Awards which award both emerging and established operators who allow tourists to experience the vastauthentic experiences in South Africa
- The Tourist Guides Awards which include Nature Guides,Adventure Guides and Culture Guides.
3. Focus Area and Category: Entrepreneurship
This area focusses on the entrepreneur and all the initiatives under undertaken
to grow their businesses. While consumer reviews
are collected for this area, they are used mainly as a guide and
not a determinant of the winners of the awards. The focus of this
adjudication is mainly on the entrepreneur and how they have grown
their business since inception.
The Emerging Tourism Entrepreneur of the Year Award (ETEYA)
recognises black owned SMMEs who has achieved notable success since starting up.
4. Focus Area: Sustainable Development
The adjudication for the categories under this area focusses largely
on the motivation provided by the entrant as well the quality of the
presentation of their respective businesses as per the rules of each
- Universal Accessibility Awards, recognises both accomodation establishments and experiences that offer the best experiences and service levels to people with disabilities.
5. Focus Area: I/WE do Tourism Award
For the first time this year, the Lilizela Tourim Awards will feature a
people’s choice award - the We Do Tourism Award. This will be
decided by the public vote. We are looking for everyday tourism
heroes, everyday tourism champions from all walks of life. This is a
public nomination and award, and no adjudication is required.
All members of the tourism industry are eligible to apply to become a
judge in any of the 7 adjudication panels as per the categories listed
above; however, the following conditions need to be met:
- A minimum 3 years’ working experience in the tourism industry
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the tourism industry
- Only one category can be selected. No judge is allowed to sit in more than one category
- No judge can sit in the panel that they have entered into, but they are allowed to sit in any other category.
Please note that there will be no monetary compensation for the
adjudication panel. However all travel relating to the adjudication will
be covered by South African Tourism. If selected, please note that
you will be required to be available for a compusary session and at least two (2) adjudication meetings. Adjudication will take place between June and July 2018.
Please submit your detailed CV and a written motivation detailing your
extensive experience in the Tourism Industry by 4th of May 2018 to:
Zinhle Nzama Strategic Platforms and Events Manager: Lilizela Tourism Awards Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The successful candidate will be informed telephonically by 18th May
2018. Any queries can be directed to Zinhle Nzama by email or
by calling (011) 895 3142.
Please visit www.lilizela.co.za for more information on the
Lilizela Tourism Awards.
Please indicate the category you wish to adjudicate from the above mentioned categories
Should you not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.