SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER, INNOVATIVE FINANCE in Cape Town
SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER, INNOVATIVE FINANCE
The Bertha Centre was established as the first academic Centre in Africa dedicated to advancing social innovation and entrepreneurship. It was established as a specialised centre at the UCT Graduate School of Business in late 2011, in partnership with the Bertha Foundation.
The mandate of the Innovative Finance Initiative is to contribute to the growth of the impact investing sector both locally and globally, the Senior Project Manager would be supporting this portfolio through:
▪ Overseeing and conducting practitioner-based research, publish a range of reports and papers related to:
- International developments in impact investing, innovative financial instruments and outcomes based financing, this might include policy perspectives and recommendations for national and provincial government, as well as multilateral organisations
- Case studies on high-impact / high-potential financial solutions and business models in Africa
▪ Demonstrating & testing high-impact potential financial innovations and business models
- Oversee, design and lead the roll out of pilots and feasibility testing of innovative financial tools and mechanisms, this includes stakeholder management, fundraising, launching new entities, designing reporting frameworks, etc.
• Designing and convening market building initiatives:
- Support and lead market building initiatives, such as the National Taskforce for Impact Investing - Support and lead impact advisory processes with stakeholders, such as financial institutions
- Represent the Bertha Centre and broker relationships in high-stakes settings, i.e. national and international conferences and events
- Facilitate local and global relationships across sectors (private, public and civil society)
▪ Take a senior leadership position within the Innovative Finance Initiative and team at the Bertha Centre, including:
- Play an active role within the team, delivering on its strategic priorities and supporting the development of the Initiative and Centre’s strategic direction
- Manage programme and project finances effectively, including writing grant proposals
- Support the development of impact investment curriculum / occasionally teach courses related to innovative finance Ideal candidates for the role of Senior Project Manager would bring (Educational & Experience Requirements):
▪ An appropriate post graduate qualification, such as international business, finance, economics, etc.
▪ A background in finance and/or impact investing (min 5 years’ experience)
▪ Experience implementing and managing projects funded by international donors
▪ Extensive experience working with stakeholders across sectors (including private, public, and civil society)
▪ Experience raising funding for innovative finance and impact investing projects
▪ Preferably, the candidate should have worked in impact investing in both developed and developing countries and have established an international network Skill Requirements:
▪ Highly organized, and effective in delivering on objectives across multiple projects
▪ Ability to manage budgets and use funding efficiently
▪ Ability to work under tight deadlines and deliver high quality work
▪ Ability to manage multiple, often complex and/or competing priorities
▪ Ability to communicate professionally, and manage relationships with high-level partners
▪ Proficient writing skills, especially publications, policy papers and report writing
▪ Passionate about supporting the innovative finance market
▪ A creative team player, committed to the Bertha Centre’s mission, priorities, and team (sometimes beyond job description) Contract would be for a two year term (with possibility of renewal conditional to funding and performance) and compensation range commensurate on experience within job grade.
The annual cost of employment for 2019, including benefits, is between R578 574 and R680 673.
To apply, please visit http://www.gsb.uct.ac.za/workforus, select the position you wish to apply for, follow the brief registration process at the bottom of the advert and submit the following documents:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Letter of motivation, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be expected to undergo a competency assessment.
Reference number: E90619
Closing date: 15 July 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://hr.uct.ac.za/policies/ee.php.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint