STATE LAW ADVISOR: LEGISLATIVE DRAFTING in Johannesburg, Johannesburg Metro
GAUTENG OFFICE OF THE PREMIER
STATE LAW ADVISOR: LEGISLATIVE DRAFTING (2 POSTS)
DIRECTORATE: State Law Advisory Services
SALARY: State Law Advisor Grade I (LP-7): All-inclusive remuneration package of R763 212-R822 192 per annum (5-8 years’ experience) depending on proven competence and previous work experience OR
State Law Advisor Grade II (LP-8): R899 016-R1 266 156 per annum (9-10 years’ experience) depending on proven competence and previous work experience
REF NO: 004114
- An LLB or equivalent degree
- Admitted, or qualified to be admitted to practice as a legal practitioner in terms of the applicable laws of the Republic
- At least 5-10 years' post qualification experience in legislative drafting
- Knowledge of and experience in Constitutional Law, Interpretation of Statutes, Administrative Law, Contract Law and Public Service Law will be added advantages.
- Proven legislative drafting skills and experience
- OR ability to carry out legal research and express legal propositions clearly
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills
- Strong communication skills(written, verbal, presentation)
- Computer literacy, with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages and keyboard skills
- Knowledge of the machinery of Government and legislative process
- Ability to remain calm, plan workload and archieve deadlines under pressure
- Ability to make considered and logical decisions
- Future focus, encouragement of innovation and supportive of change
- A high level of professional integrity
- Positive energy and drive
- Self-motivated and comfortable taking the initiative
- Completely reliable and able to work without supervision
- Experience in and technical knowledge of civil litigation
- Provide legislative drafting and related services to the Gauteng Provincial Government
- Provide legal advice and support services on legislation to client departments and the Provincial Executive Council
- Provide support when draft legislation is being promoted through the legislative process, including attending Legislature’s Committees as appropriate to provide assistance
- Analyse, identify, monitor progress with and advise on draft national legislation that may have an impact on the Province
- Provide legal advice and opinions to client departments with the Gauteng Provincial Government and to the Provincial Executive Council
- Assist in the performance of the Unit’s functions and as and when required
- Perform the duties of the Director in his or her absence.
- Provide assistance to the Office of the Premier with contract drafting or drafting of agreements
- Provide support with the handling of litigation involving the Office of the Premier and assist with Province-wide implementation and monitoring of the provincial litigation management approach, to ensure the protection of the interests of the Province
ENQUIRIES: Post content: Adv Monwabisi Nguqu, tel. (011) 355-6312
OTHER: Ms Zandile Ntshalintshali, tel. (011) 355-6427
It is the Department’s intention to promote equity by achieving all numeric targets as contained in the Department`s Employment Equity Plan by targeting the required race/gender for appointment. To promote equity, males of all races are encouraged to apply.
APPLICATIONS: Please forward for the attention of the Director: Internal HR Management, Department of Office of the Premier, 65 Ntemi Piliso Street, Newtown, Johannesburg 2001 or apply online at www.gautengonline.gov.za (please do not send applications to 30 Simmonds Street).
NOTE: Applications must be submitted on the Z83 Form, accomapnied by copies of qualification(s), Identity Document (Certified in the past 3 months), proof of citizenship if not RSA citizen, and a comprehensive CV indicating three reference persons (name and contact numbers; their relationship with the applicant). Failure to submit these copies will result in the application not being considered. Please do not send any original certificates, diplomas or testimonials. Applicants must note that further checks will be conducted once they are shortlisted and that appointment is subject to the outcome of these checks, including security clearance, security vetting, qualification verification and criminal checking. Reference checks will be done on nominated candidates. It is the candidate's responsibility to have foreign qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority(SAQA). Note that correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates. If you have not been contacted by the Gauteng Office of the Premier within 3 months of the closing date of the advertisement, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The Gauteng Office of the Premier reserves the right to utilise practical exercises/tests for non-SMS positions and during the recruitment process (candidates who are shortlisted will be informed accordingly) to determine the suitability of candidates for the posts.
The Gauteng Office of the Premier reserves the right to cancel the appointment/not fill a vacancy that has been advertised duri any stage of the recruitment process. We thank all applicants for their interest.
Closing date: 28 June 2019